Sunday, September 12, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten

When I had Brock, I never once thought ahead to what it would be like in 5 years. I don't think I ever pictured him going to kindergarten or doing anything else. I always saw him as Baby Brock. Now 5 years have gone and he has become a wonderful little boy who is getting to experience the real beginnings of life.
Kindergarten is a huge deal. James and I felt like this day just snuck up on us. That morning Brock woke up extra early and got himself ready. He even did his hair which he never wants done. He looked so handsome and so grown up.
Our morning at home was a little chaotic but we finally got it together and were finally able to leave for school. Here is our favorite little boy all set for school!
James and I did really good at home. I was thinking that one of us would cry before we left the house but we surprised each other and neither of us shed a tear. Then we made it to Brock's school and the tears started flowing.

The one thing that was especially hard was at Brock's Elementary School the Kindergartners are in a separate area of the school that is completely separated from the rest of the school with a fence. So on the first day of school the kids go in the gated area but the parents have to stand back. All the kids lined up on there teachers white line and we all anxiously waited for them to head on in. It was so special to see them turn around and wave to us. I cried watching him walk into his class.

We finally left to go home and my day dragged on for what seemed like forever. It did not matter how busy I stayed every time I would look at the clock only 5 minutes had passed each time. Alyvia had told us numerous times that she really missed Brock and wanted to go get him. That just killed me because I was feeling the same way. We are so used to having him around that without him nothing seemed right. After what seemed like days (exaggeration) it was time to go pick him up.

I think what made my day a little more anxious was that instead of thinking about how much fun he would be having, I'm thinking he didn't get to each lunch, or would be to shy to ask to use the restroom, or even maybe he didn't like school and snuck out. I was going crazy with wanting to make sure he was ok and liked school. So when he came out of class with that huge grin on his face I was able to take a a deep breath and finally be just ok! We hugged him like crazy acting like he had been gone to camp or something. Once we got home he told us all about his day and we pestered him with questions.

At the end of the day I think it was safe to safe that he absolutely loves school (for now anyways) and James and I are super excited too!

No comments: